Overview of the position
Axiom Design Build is seeking a highly motivated Construction Estimator to join our construction team.
The Construction Estimator is an integral part of the Axiom construction management team. Bridging the gap between design and construction, this individual will be responsible for creating detailed cost estimation during the design phase, interacting with architect, designer, and client.
This role will be instrumental in transitioning design projects into the hands of Axiom’s construction managers and help facilitate the pre-construction buyout process. The pre-construction services manager will work with key members of the leadership team and use historical cost data to aid in the continued growth of Axiom’s business.
Axiom engages in high-end, custom residential projects in many communities throughout Seattle. Regardless of project location, scale, or budget, our field crew is expected to provide the highest level of customer service at all times. Our culture at Axiom is about equality and inclusion; helping each other grow and learn, and building beautiful projects together. To achieve that we look for great craftspeople and great human beings.
Duties and responsibilities
This individual will work closely with the design and construction management teams to provide the most accurate and comprehensive budget support.
Specific duties include:
- Manage estimating and pre-construction process for high-end residential remodels and custom homes.
- Interpret architectural plans in many phases of development and work closely with architects and designers to ensure constructability within budget.
- Engage in problem solving and value engineering to keep projects in line with client expectations.
- Facilitate project hand-off from preconstruction to construction.
- Work with Axiom’s Business Development team to ensure project proposals reflect current construction costs.
- Leverage historical cost/project data to develop clear costs analysis systems for future project proposals and pre-construction estimation.
- Mentor teams on preconstruction best practices, processes, and tools.
- Proactively assess ways to improve Axiom’s estimation and preconstruction processes.
- Collaborate with construction managers during active construction jobs to help estimate change orders or value engineer as needed.
- Participate in project pre-construction buyout and post-mortem meetings.
- Develop tools/processes for analyzing project success through the full design-build experience. Utilize cost information from field and lessons learned that can be used in future project planning.
- Evaluate viability of projects in early stages of design using professional construction experience and knowledge.
- Work closely with project managers in establishing historical data collection.
- Work with the production teams throughout the preconstruction process in reviewing plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining general requirements on the project.
- Review design documents for proper information to receive accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers, and precise estimation for self-performed labor.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- 5-7 years’ experience in high-end residential project management/estimation.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the construction process. Remodeling experience is preferred.
- A degree or certification in Construction Management is preferred.
- Experience in cost estimating, budget tracking, project scheduling, and value engineering.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, engineering, and landscaping plans and specifications.
- A successful team leader with strong communication and relationship-building skills.
- Comfortable interacting with architects, designers, and clients.
- Ability to lead weekly progress meetings with architects, designers, clients, and others.
- Good judgment, strong problem-solving skills, and ability to communicate challenging situations effectively and diplomatically.
- Proficiency in Excel; knowledge of Microsoft Project, BuilderTrend and Bluebeam is preferred.
- Utilizes good judgment and remains efficient while under stress.
- Maintains a global view of business goals.
- Must have a strong work ethic with great organizational and technical skills.
This is a salaried position with great benefits!
Building and remodeling homes throughout the greater Seattle area for the past 20 years, Axiom Design Build is a high-end construction and architectural firm with a passion for exceptional craftsmanship and innovative design.
Axiom distinguishes itself within the Seattle construction industry by hiring amazing people who take pride in their craft. Our attention to detail, preparation, craftsmanship, teamwork, and superior customer service is what sets us apart.
We look forward to hearing from you!